Throughout the course of your online business, you will communicate with thousands upon thousands of people – readers, visitors, partners, customers, mentors, associates. And all of them will have a different style of communicating – some are straight to the point, others tell great stories and still others write better than they talk. But one thing holds true for all of our online and offline communicating…
A comment may sound one way to us, but come off completely different to someone else.
Your role as the online business owner is to lead the way for comments – be the king and never disappoint your followers!
Below are 10 ways to be the king of comments:
- When readers comment on your blog, acknowledge them. Even a simple, “thank you for stopping by my blog” is better than nothing. Your blog readers probably read other blogs too – make them feel special when they visit and comment on yours.
- Use CommentLuv on your blog. CommentLuv is a plugin that will pull up the commenter’s last post and attach it to their comment. This is a great way to share their posts and add value to the comment stream. I don’t know about you, but I like it when the blog owner uses Comment Luv on their blog!
- Use the DoFollow plugin. By default, when people comment of your blog they are “nofollow” links. Meaning they get do not get a link back to their website. In building an online business, it’s a good business practice to remove this and allow backlinks – for one, it builds up your blogosphere of links and two, it gives the other blog owner a backlink – win/win!
- Add a “latest comments” widget to your sidebar. This is a helpful practice as it showcases your readers names and let’s them take front and center on your blog. Plus, visitors see that your blog is hopping!
- Make sure your comment box is easily seen by readers – this is a big one. I read an awesome blog a few days ago and wanted to leave a comment, only one thing – I couldn’t find a place to leave a comment! I scrolled the post 3 times before I found a little ”leave a comment” tag under the group of post tags. Make it super easy for readers to comment on your posts -
- Install a spam filter, such as Akismet. Akismet is a plugin that will block most, if not all of the spammy comments circulating around the web. For any busy blogger, it is a necessity.
- Ask for comments! This is so simple, but so true. I don’t do this in every post, but about every other one, I simply state “Let me know what you think with a comment” or “what do you think” – directions work!
- When you comment on others’ posts, make it so intriguing others will wonder what you are up to or what you talk about on your blog. Aside from adding a valid point to the post, you also hope that your comment gets readers over to your post too. An incredible comment, unlike any other, will do just that.
- Build a community with your commenter’s. Encouraging discussion and referring to other’s posts will show that you are a team player and ready to help others.
- And finally, comments can lead to great post ideas. Some on my best blog posts have come from either reading my own blog’s comments or reading other blog’s comments. When readers comment, they have something meaningful to say – listen to them and answer their questions or concerns in another blog post.
If you can think of any other helpful ways to be the king of comments, please share below!