Building a subscriber list in this day and age is the equivalent of having an instant audience right there at your doorstep, just waiting in anticipation for the next bit of information to come their way.
Ok, well, not everyone has this perception of their list, but I do!
As a business owner who has been building a list from my very first online business, I have picked up a thing or two about how to build a list the right way.
And because I went through all these steps, I have build a list filled with subscribers who appreciate my emails and know that I offer extreme value.
Here are my action steps to build a list now:
- Define your target market. This is probably one of the most missed steps of anyone starting a list of subscribers. Who is your ideal market for your list? If you are a blogger, then maybe your readers will be your target market. If you are buying traffic, then they’ll be people who are attracted to what you have to offer. Which brings up the subject of…
- Offering a freebie. A free item, whether it be a report or audio or video, is essential. Consider it one of your essential tools when it comes to building a list. And here’s why – it is something of value that you are giving to them – remember give first and then receive. So package together ten of your best posts, put a nice cover on it and there is your free item.
- Autoresponders are the life of your business. Without an autoresponder service you have no business to build. There are many email database services on the Internet, but the one I use is AWeber. AWeber is affiliate friendly (important if you ever want to recommend products) and offers a user-friendly platform.
- An email capture page. This is a page where people will put their email address into a box and then be sent their free report or video. Here is an example of one of my capture pages – If you are new to making capture pages, they play a very important role in your list building. Yes, you can always put a submit button on your blog sidebar, but having a separate email capture page is essential as that is where most of your optins will come from.
- Start promoting your free item. Here is another reason why you need a free item to give away. You can promote it and drive targeted traffic straight to your list. Blog posts, articles, forum marketing, guest posting – these are just a few ways to promote your offer.
Ultimately, the action steps on how to build a list of subscribers are just that – action steps!
While every action step is crucial to the success of your list building efforts, the better you promote your “something of value,” the more subscribers you will add to your list.
Bloggers are at a real advantage when it to comes to building a list because blogs attract readers anyway. Throughout your blog – posts, sidebars, articles, instructional videos, etc. having a call to action to subscribe to your list will dramatically increase your optins.
When you build a list of subscribers, it translates into more blog readers and more potential customers!